Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Open for Business!

Our class went on a field trip to see a play yesterday, so all of Monday's standard events were moved to Tuesday this week.  Usually this causes mass chaos, but I have to brag on my kids and say that all went well today.  Yay!!

Student stores were open for business today.  These stores are fabulous for many reasons.  They allow students to explore their talents and utilize classroom skills like math (profit margins), writing (advertising), reading (research to enhance their products), and social studies (economics).  They make learning relevant and FUN!  Tyra is selling the most amazing barrettes.  They come in a variety of colors.  She gave me a green one in an effort to increase sales through a "celebrity endorsement."  Check it out...

Nolen applied for a new business license today.  He's opening "Money for Money," a loan business.  It will be interesting to watch his business grow.  He's using his own money as capital.  I'm wondering what will happen for those clients who can't pay him back in a timely manner.  This will be an exceptionally interesting business to watch as it grows.  Watch out Title Max, you've got competition!

As the kids were paying their business taxes, I heard one of them tell another kid that the people in Freeville really needed to start earning their own money so that they didn't have to keep paying these high taxes.  Ahh... They are beginning to understand the REAL world's modern economy at such a young age.

Due to Monday's field trip the kids also received the Super Star list today.  The kids were paid their retroactive salaries based on whether or not they were on the Super Star list.  Super Stars earned $10 (with $2 going to rent and $2 to taxes) and those not on the list earned $5 (with $2 going to rent and $2 going to taxes).  At then end of the day, my most challenging student came up to me and said, "Mrs. Nunamaker, I'm going to be on the Super Star list next week and make $10."  WOW!  I honestly didn't think there was anything I could do to motivate this kid.  I am LOVING the self motivation taking place.  I'm crossing my fingers for him and me that his goal is achieved.

And alas, my students are reading this blog right now with their fingers crossed.  I'm posting the winning lottery ticket for today's social studies test review.  (Check out last Friday's blog to learn about our lottery system.) Students were allowed to purchase extra lottery tickets today for $3 a ticket.  Welcome to the REAL World....Cash only, of course, no credit accepted!  The winning number is...


The lucky person with ticket number 314555 should bring their ticket to me in the morning to claim your $95 prize!

For teachers our there reading this blog, if you are interested in learning more about Money Cents For Kids, visit www.mc4k.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment