Monday, December 3, 2012

Tattletale Mail

This year's group of kids is exceptionally fond of ratting each other out for some reason.  Not only does it drive me bonkers, but it takes away valuable instructional time too.  I HAD to come up with a way to put a nix on the tattling in class.  

When my sister gave me an old mailbox from her classroom, it was as though a treasure had suddenly been uncovered!  I immediately brought the mailbox to my classroom and put a sign on it that read "Tattletale Mail." I told the students that they must write a letter to me explaining any tattle that they would like to share.  The letter required a delivery address and postage too.  We hired a class "Post Master" to sell postage and deliver the mail to me from the mailbox. If a student feels that their tattle is pertinent, then he/she may complete a Postage Reimbursement Form and include it with the tattle.  **Of course, I must give the disclaimer here that you must discuss the difference between a tattle and something the teacher really needs to know when starting something like this.

Tattles have gone down by at least 90% since we started the Tattletale Mail.  Thank goodness, I didn't think I could handle one more day of tattle after tattle!  I mean, I'm here to teach vital skills and concepts, not listen to "So and so looked at me funny!"  The tattletale mail has decreased tattles, increased instructional time, and supported student writing skills.  

2 comments:

  1. I love this idea and really like that you created the post master position!! I'm sure the kids love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny! We created this position out of necessity, but it's one of the top three jobs that the kids really want to get each week! There's just something to being able to use a date stamp, I guess. :)

    Thanks so much for sharing the mailbox with our class, Liz. You ROCK!

    ReplyDelete